BIT OF A BRUCE LEE BONUS
Bruce Lee was THE martial arts master and you may think there’s a bit of a difference between martial arts and dressage, but his philosophy is worth studying if you really want to succeed. Not just at Dressage riding but at anything that is worthwhile in life.
I have gathered a collection of Bruce Lee quotes which in the context of dressage are thought provoking and inspiring.
- “Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.” – Take Action, read and gather your knowledge, be willing to do what you need to and then take action.
- “Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” – Again gather your knowledge, make your own mind up about what is right for you and your horse, experiment and add your own touches, develop your own unique system.
- “As you think, so shall you become.” – This is all about positivity. Disregard all those negative thoughts that cloud your judgement and hold you back from achieving your goals.
- “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.” – In contrast don’t think for too long about stuff. Again, take action.
- “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Your goals should be personal, Dressage is about training and continual improvement. When you compete it is not against others but against yourself and you are looking to improve on last time. Don’t be overly concerned about how others are progressing.
- “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” – Developing a training method that is right for you is absolutely the only way forward. Religiously trying to replicate what your instructor does and says will not help you to train your horse. You should have a number of sources to help you with your training.
- “Obey the principles without being bound by them.” – Be flexible in your approach. The basic principles of dressage are all the same, it’s about how they are applied that makes them uniquely yours.
And my personal favourite …
Simplicity is the key to Brilliance
So much of what we read and what we are taught in Dressage is difficult to understand, surrounded by a complicated and bespoke language that in itself is hard to grasp. The Crystal System endeavours to deliver it’s teachings in a more simplistic, easily understandable way. After all, it’s the key to brilliance!
Patricia – The Dressge Tipster
This is soooooo true. Have admired Bruce Lee for a long time (and yes I do remember him when he was alive)
My moto is…… Try it, if it works great, if it doesn’t try it differently until you find a way that does work. Remember, not all humans tick the same so why should horses?
Yes Dawn, this is how you will find YOUR way, this is how you will find the way for YOUR HORSE! Great moto. Thanks for commenting. Px